When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Houston, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Houston or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at (713) 352-7887 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.