Summer is usually a crazy time of year for many folks in Houston. Whether it’s a family reunion, a long-awaited vacation or any host of other outdoor activities, summer not only brings about full schedules, but that dreaded Houston heat as well.
We know you’ve already handled all of your AC repair and air conditioner service needs way before summer arrived, so what else can you do to maintain your cool during those days where you can’t get away to an air conditioned oasis? Health Canada has five suggestions:
Spending time outdoors is what summer is all about, but staying safe in the Houston heat is non-negotiable. And when you do finally make it back to air conditioning, make sure you’ve taken care of all of your AC repair and air conditioner service needs so you do not have to worry about it breaking down in the heat of the summer. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at (713) 352-7887 or set up an appointment online if you have any questions about potential AC repair or how you can make sure that your air conditioner is operating at its peak in the Houston heat.
- Stay in air conditioned places as much as you can. Of course, outdoor activities make this difficult, but if you are able to take a short break and utilize an air conditioned building at a park or a vehicle’s air conditioning, do so.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Sip on your drink even if you don't think thirsty, as thirst can be an early indicator of dehydration. If you begin noticing muscle cramps, take a break as it could also be an early warning of dehydration or a different heat-related illness.
- Take special considerations when scheduling outdoor activities. Any sort of workout or athletic practices should be held earlier or later in the day when the Houston temperatures are more tolerable.
- Dress to stay cooler in hot temperatures. Light-colored, lightweight and loose-fitting clothing are your best choice.
- Keep your shower or bath a little cooler than normal. It can help you cool down a bit faster so you can get back to reveling in your home’s air conditioning.