Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your house, being cozy in your new area no matter the weather is key. However, they can make a unique problem for comfort. This is because installing ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the higher load, as it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most cost-effective options is to get a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Learn more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a good fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, because they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they move heat to make your room comfier. In reality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for extra rebates and lower your heating and cooling expenses for many years.
Another special feature is zoned heating and cooling. Because each room typically has an individual indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is particularly useful if you have a room with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s smarter than adding ductwork and leaning on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the precise cost will depend on your unique situation, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system may become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This may overwork your system and make it wear out more rapidly.
- Your comfort might decrease. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort may be reduced if your system has to cover a bigger space. Your heating and cooling could be less efficient, and your electricity and gas expenses may become costlier as a result of the system needing to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are offered in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you choose the correct size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when properly serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the ideal model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently finished one, we can help. Give us a call at (713) 352-7887 now to request a free consultation and estimate.