Cooler months in Houston are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners understand that their furnace may give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to release carbon monoxide if the system is not working as it should be or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any troubling problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that could compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its peak efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at (713) 352-7887 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.