How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Houston Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually connected to wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.

Why is CO awareness so important?

Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is tops when ranking leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning a very serious concern for any Houston homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?

  1. Buy a CO detector for each room of your home. You can contact Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. Existing CO detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
  4. Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance every fall to check that no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the start of heating season. 
  5. If your furnace is approaching the end of its working life, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new heating unit. 

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.