Spring is enjoyable for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your power bill is often at its lowest. That’s because you’re not turning to your heating or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to climb, so do your energy costs. Here are a couple of tips for saving energy in Houston and keeping bills lower.
1. Book Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system an annual tune-up can help it work more efficiently and scale down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep power expenses less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving features in newer air conditioning systems is an obvious benefit for keeping your power bill down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling charges. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to efficiently schedule your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between outdoor temperatures and indoor temperatures, the cheaper your energy expense will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty residence.
3. Try Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can try several other things to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it passes through windows. Keep your home comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Think About Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and abruptly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and adjust the temp when you’re gone to help you save energy and money. You can also change the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These expert ideas will all help keep summer energy charges economical. If you decide it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation online. We’ll help you select the right solution for your space. And as always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.